Our Story: The long and short of it
It began, like many microbreweries, with a homebrew kit and a love of beer. Not just a love of drinking beer but a real respect for the craft, the history, the art, and the industry, as well as a passion for the brewing process itself. Today, the Lake Placid Pub & Brewery has been brewing award-winning ales and lagers for more than 21 years and has expanded rapidly due to its popularity and quality, earning the respect of the brewing community and national media attention. Over the years we have brewed almost 150 different styles of beer and we brew almost 350,000 pints of beer annually, placing us in the top 7% of brewpubs nationwide.
In 1996, Christopher Ericson and a college friend purchased P.J. O'Neill's, a pub in the small Adirondack village of Lake Placid. Chris had held brewing posts at Federal Jack's / Shipyard Brewing in Kennebunkport, Maine and The Shed Restaurant and Brewery in Stowe, VT, and was eager to break out on his own. The pair kept P.J.'s intact downstairs and renovated the upstairs into a pub and restaurant, installed a seven barrel brewery, and began brewing. The Lake Placid Pub & Brewery quickly became a popular spot both for locals and visitors to the Lake Placid area and word of its legendary beer, Ubu Ale, began to spread.
In 2000, the Pub was a stop for some White House interns accompanying Hillary Clinton on a trip through the area as she contemplated running for the Senate. The interns enjoyed the atmosphere and especially enjoyed the Ubu Ale, our brewery's flagship beer. After hearing the story of Ubu' namesake (a patron's friendly chocolate lab) the interns decided to bring some of the strong ale to President Clinton as a gift. After he tried the brew, the President had the White House aides call in and order three cases of Ubu growlers shipped to D.C. for a party at the White House!
By 2001, the demand for Pub brews both in and outside of Lake Placid increased to the point that the original seven barrel brewpub could not keep up. One expansion at the Pub had used up all available space, and it was time for additional capacity. Chris and his wife, Catherine, traveled to Plattsburgh, N.Y. to the site of a brewery which had been closed for several years. Brewing operations were expanded into this 13,000 sq. ft. facility, and a new company was formed — The Lake Placid Craft Brewing Company. After adding tanks and expanding to a capacity of over 5,000 barrels per year, the demand for the beer was still greater than the capacity of that brewery, and it was closed in January of 2010. Thankfully, in April 2007, Lake Placid Craft Brewing Company had entered into a supply and distribution agreement with Matt Brewing Company of Utica, N.Y., brewers of the Saranac line of beers. This partnership has allowed the Craft Brewing Company to continue to grow and expand distribution into regional areas as well as extend its availability into new states. With the closure of the Plattsburgh brewery, all beer produced for The Lake Placid Craft Brewing Company is brewed and packaged at Matt Brewing. Brewing operations at the original brewpub in Lake Placid continue at nearly full capacity.
Beginning in the summer of 2012, The Pub underwent a major renovation and expansion. The kitchen was moved to a new, much larger location on the second floor. The third floor of the building was completely renovated into a new bar and dining area which is being called The Hop Loft. This space has a great view and the additional space has decreased the wait list times dramatically. The space is also available for private parties, events, and group functions. We also expanded the brewery by 60% allowing us to brew 56 barrel per week - that's 112 kegs. The brewery expansion allows us to brew exciting, new styles of beer (and more beer too).
In 2003, 2005, 2007, and 2013 at the TAP-NY Brewery Festival, the largest brewers festival in New York held each year in April at Hunter Mountain, the Lake Placid Pub & Brewery was awarded the Matthew Vassar Cup as the "Best Brewery in the Hudson Valley" (region ranges from Plattsburgh to NYC) as well as other awards for individual beers. In addition, the Pub & Brewery has been selected as "The Best Brewery in New York State" twice, in 2005 and in 2007.
In 2016, The Pub opened a second location in Lake Placid. Big Slide Brewery & Public House features 10 house brewed beers on tap, including sour beers and barrel-aged beers, and a farm-to-table menu, all set in a modern, industrial building. When in Lake Placid, please visit Big Slide too. www.bigslidebrewery.com
Our story continues to unfold as our list of accolades grows. Stay tuned.
- 2018 - Gold - Best Local Brewery - Adirondack Daily Enterprise
- 2018 - Gold - Best Restaurant - Adirondack.net
- 2018 - Silver - Best Bar in the Adirondacks - Adirondack.net
- 2018 - Silver - Best Brewery, Winery, or Distillery in the Adirondacks - Adirondack.net
- 2016 - Best Brewery in the Adirondack Park - Adirondack Life Readers Poll
- 2015 - Best Brewery in the Adirondack Park - Adirondack Life Readers Poll
- 2014 - Best Brewery in the Adirondack Park - Adirondack Life Readers Poll
- 2014 - Best Bar in the Adirondack Park - Adirondack Life Readers Poll
- 2013 - Tap New York - Best Brewery in Hudson Valley
- 2007 - Tap New York - Best Brewery in NY State
- 2007 - Tap New York - Best Brewery in Hudson Valley
- 2005 - Tap New York - Best Brewery in NY State
- 2005 - Tap New York - Best Brewery in Hudson Valley
- 2005 - Empire Beer & Music Fest - Silver - People' Choice
- 2005 - Empire Beer & Music fest - Bronze - Festival Panel
- 2003 - Tap New York - Best Brewery in Hudson Valley
- 2003 - Small Business Administration (SBA) - Excellence in Small Business Award
- 2017 World Beer Awards - Gold Medal - Porter
- 2017 Australian International Beer Awards - Silver - Dark Ale
- 2016 World Beer Awards - United States Champion - Porter
- 2016 New York International Beer Competition - Bronze
- 2015 Great International Beer & Cider Competition - Silver Medal
- 2015 World Beer Championships - Gold Medal
- 2014 Denver International Beer Festival - Bronze
- 2013 Denver International Beer Festival - Bronze
- 2012 Lake Placid Brewfest - Silver Medal - People's Choice Award
- 2012 Australian Beer Championships - Bronze - Brown Ale
- 2011 US Open Beer Championship - Gold Medal - Old Ale
- 2011 Australian Beer Championships - Bronze - Dark Ale
- 2010 Australian Beer Championships - Silver - Dark Ale
- 2009 Great International Beer Competition - Silver - Strong Ale
- 2008 World Beer Championships - Gold - Strong Ale
- 2005 Empire Beer & Music fest - Gold - Festival Panel
- 2005 Empire Beer & Music Fest - Bronze - People' Choice
Big Slide I.P.A.
- 2017 Denver International Beer Championships - Bronze - American IPA
- 2016 World Beer Awards - Gold - IPA
- 2016 Australian Beer Championships - Silver - American Style IPA
- 2016 New York International Beer Competition - Bronze - American Style IPA
- 2015 World Beer Championships - Silver Medal
Ubu's Golden Ale
- 2017 Great International Beer, Cider & Mead Competition - Silver Medal - Golden Ale
- 2017 NY State Beer Competition - Bronze - Golden/Blonde Ale
- 2017 Denver International Beer Championships - Bronze - Blonde Ale
Around the Bend Extra Pale Ale
- 2015 - World Beer Championships - Silver Medal
Lake Placid .I.P.A.
- 2012 Australian Beer Championships - Bronze - IPA
- 2011 Australian Beer Championships - Bronze - IPA
- 2010 Australian Beer Championships - Bronze - IPA
- 2009 Tap New York - Silver - NY State
- 2008 World Beer Championships - Silver - IPA
- 2007 Albany Lobster'fest - Silver - Specialty
- 2006 Tap New York - Silver - Hudson Valley
- 2005 Tap New York - Silver - NY State
- 2004 Great International Beer Competition - Silver - IPA
KB's Wee Heavy
- 2012 Tap New York - Gold - Hudson Valley
Red Wheat Wine
- 2016 Tap New York - Bronze - Hudson Valley
Twice Bitten Barleywine
- 2009 Tap New York - Silver - Hudson Valley
- 2007 Tap New York - Gold - Hudson Valley
- 2005 Tap New York - Bronze - NY State
- 2005 Tap New York - Bronze - Hudson Valley